Followers

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This week has been odd an odd one for Tileena. At this time last year I was buying a new notebook, and printing out my schedule for the first day of the Spring semester. No Spring semester this year, but I did have the opportunity to ask, "Free newspaper for ya today?" out front of the UI Bookstore as hundreds of students poured in to buy their texts.

friends and old classmates passed by wondering what the hell I was doing. "Well...I graduated. I now have a job selling newspapers."

I have an odd sense of humor so most of my friends didn't know what to think. Is she really selling papers? I am the type of person who would just try to screw with my buddies by telling them that this is my new job. I think they still think I am pullin' their leg.

I am a hard worker, and my mom said I was over qualified to sell newspapers on college campuses and outside Walmart. A job is a job right? This is the way I see it right now, but for the first time, I can see myself getting tired of this job. Sure, I get to talk to people all the time and it could lead to a reporting job in the long run, but I feel ridiculous trying to convince these people into buying a paper.

Here is my dilemma: I have to work all week, but I want to stop in and check on a couple of resumes turned in. My "for now job" is getting in the way of my career search. Is this little part time job worth my time? None of the other "marketing assistants" aka newspaper pushers have college educations. I feel awful for thinking this, and it is odd that I do...but I sort of feel too good to do this job. Is my head getting big...oh no! I just feel like I did not go to school for 4 1/2 years to sell newspapers only for commission. I am going to need an hourly wage on top of everything in order for me to continue. I suppose that is the bottom line.

They continue to say how good I am doing, and how hard it is to find good workers like me, well...maybe they might want to keep me around then? Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. I remember that feeling when I graduated from college--there's a little interim between finding what the next step is and living the old life. I had been working at Jonathans, but that just didn't feel right anymore. Your instincts are probably telling you something.

    ReplyDelete