Followers

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Introduction

I am new to this blog deal, but I have been told that I have to have one. So here it goes. I would first like to share a bit about myself. I recently graduated from the University of Idaho with a Bachelor of Science in journalism. I feel like I blinked and everything was over. Now I am sitting here on my new couch that I need to pay for and I have no job. YES! Welcome to the real world, Tileena.

I have always dreamed of becoming a big time TV reporter, but this past summer I was introduced to the world of multimedia journalism. I love holding a video camera in my hands and being able to capture a story and soley relying on my subject to tell the story. If I do not ask the right question in the correct way, I may miss the most important part of the event. If my subject/source doesn't answer my question in a complete sentence then I am put to the test to make it work. I tend to ramble on about this sort of thing, and no one ever seems to understand. I do want to make it clear that I have a passion for video journalism that is bigger than the sky. I have the staff at the American Indian Journalism Institution to thank for introducing me to this world.

I love talking to random people because everyone has a story. When I hold that video camera in my hand it gives me this power. I could walk up to anyone...and I mean anyone, and ask them about their deepest darkest secrets. I have been told that I am fearless, which is only true when I hold the empowering camera. I think that this power transfers to my interviewees also, because when I talk to people they seem at ease. Of course it takes a bit to make them comfortable with a camera in their face, but after the warm up questions everything seems to flow. I LOVE IT!

Anyways, enough of the rambling again.

Now I would like to share with everyone the work that I have done since July of '08. I am not going to go in any special order, but this is my most recent story that I did for the Web site I am currently working for (reznetnews.org).






Eel: Missing Piece to Salmon Recovery? from Reznet on Vimeo.


About four years ago the Nez Perce Tribe’s fisheries department started the translocation of the Pacific Lamprey Eel in hopes to assist in the recovery of the Snake River Fall Chinook Salmon.

“We had thousands of eel in here [Snake River], maybe even in the millions,” Nez Perce Tribal member and eel project coordinator,” Elmer Crow said. “For the past five to six years all that’s come over Lower Granite Dam is double digits. So, we’ve got a problem.”


The Pacific Lamprey Eel is a nutritious source of food for other fish. “One of the questions we’ve always asked,” Crow said, “is is this a part of Salmon recovery that’s missing?”


The 15 Fish were picked up from John Day Dam, which is located on the Snake River on the border of Idaho and Oregon, and relocated to the Tribe’s Big Canyon Fall Chinook Acclimation Facility in Juliaetta, Idaho. They will live in a large tank until they are released into area creeks.


“The biology, and the restoration, and keeping these things alive is very important,” Crow said, “but it’s just as important or more important to me personally because of the cultural, spiritual values of the Nez Perce people.”

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging! Love your new site!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tileena--your new site looks really good, and the information is great! I'll be checking back regularly!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your site. I am very proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete